Friday, February 3, 2012

Hand Pieced Quilt-A-Long Block #2 Jacob's Ladder

I'm happy to see that many of you have joined the hand piecing quilt along. Don't forget to join the flickr group if you haven't already. Everyone's blocks are looking good.

 For the block this week I chose Jacob's Ladder. Another one of my favorite traditional blocks.

I was thinking while lying in bed at 3am this morning about the little 1 inch (finished) squares and how there are 20 of them. I didn't want to stretch the fabric too much so I thought I would make a grid and draw all of the lines and then cut them. It worked great! and saved time! I am used to strip piecing and quick sew methods for both 4 patches and half square triangles but when hand piecing I don't think that is a great idea because your stitches unravel rather quickly once you cut into that seam. You know what I mean?

I also did the same thing for the half square triangles. (note this picture shows 8 half square triangles, we only need 4, I will use the other 4 in another block)

So my measurements for the grid of 1 1/2 inch squares measures 3 x 7.5 inches
and the half square triangles grid measures 5 3/4 square ( will give you 8, 4 for this block and 4 for future use) or 2 7/8 by 5 3/4 inches if you only want to cut 4 hst's. 

These are your pieces:
10 background squares - 1.5 inches
10 print squares - 1.5 inches
4 background half square triangles - 2 7/8 inches
4 print half square triangles - 2 7/8 inches

I'll start by piecing the 4 patches, then the half square triangles, and then sew them into rows and lastly sew my rows together. I didn't sew this one together yet because I would actually like to be a participant in the quilt along :)
Basic how to can be found on week #1's post here.  Have fun and have a super fantastic weekend! Can't wait to see your blocks!

9 comments:

Nicky said...

Great idea! Leaves more time for stitching!

Leslie said...

this block is so pretty...i am loving all of these in the FMF!!! i keep wanting to get started but can not find the time. this yelling baby keeps me pretty occupied!!! maybe if i just find the time to get it cut up i can do it when i get in bed at night or something! :o)

Marty Mason said...

Those are some small blocks....what a great little work in progress!

Bailey said...

I never thought that I would like hand piecing until I took a class. It's quite relaxing. The best tip from that class is to take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and adhere it to one side of a file folder and one to the other side. When you go to mark your lines, place your fabric on the sandpaper and draw your lines. Your fabric does not shift or stretch.

Char said...

I just finished my first block. I didn't cut my hst's until I finished stitching them. It worked really well, so I was glad to see your post today.

Richard Healey said...

I like that block. Will have to give it a try.

http//richardquilts.blogspot.com

Jacque. said...

I, too, love the jacob's ladder block. Can't wait to get it all set to stitch next week! Thanks, Erin!

Anonymous said...

Here is my question: I'm not really good at figuring things out, but just from your excellent grid drawings on the fabric, couldn't you place the white fabric right-sides together to the gray/orange print and just sew them altogether, then cut them apart and you've got your HST's already made? Would this work?

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Hi Pamela-
Yes! You could certainly do that. If I were machine piecing these I would have no worries. But I was concerned my hand stitching , even if I back stitch, would not stand up to being cut through.
Thanks!
Erin

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...