Monday, November 7, 2011

Topsy Turvy Sashing Tutorial (wonky sahsing)

 Thanks to Leslie for the perfect little name for this sashing.  I used a layer cake from Aneela Hoey's Little Apples line for this quilt  and tutorial.


 Here is a quilt Jacque made using a Sherbert Pips charm pack using the same method for sashing that I'm going to show you here. Isn't hers super cute? I love it!


 Check out the back. Love that too! and Jacque is an excellent quilter too. Her stitches blow me away.


 Okay, so what your gonna do to get this wonky look is very similar to making whirlygig blocks. It's very simple.


1.) Measure the top and bottom of the block that you are going to be putting the sashing around. For my blocks I added a 1 inch border (finished) to the layer cake piece and then measured that. (*note - I pre-wash my layer cakes, so that is why my measurements may not be the same as yours, etc...)
 2.) Cut some strips 3 inches x WOF (width of fabric) * you will be sub-cutting these into 3 x whatever size the top and bottom of your block measured. If you want to do the math ahead of time and figure out how many strips you need you can do that. I rarely work that way. I cut some, sew some, cut some, sew some.


 3.) Sub-cut your 3 inch strips by your blocks top and bottom measurement. Mine were 11.75 inches.


 4.) Use your ruler and place it diagonally 1 inch in form the top of your strip and 2 inches in on the bottom. Make your diagonal cut.


5.) Sew a strip to the top of your block with the diagonal cut side lined up with the edge of the block. It's important to make sure you are not sewing the straight edge to your block. It should be your diagonal edge. * although when you lay your strip on top of the block it looks as the straight edge is actually diagonal it is really the straight edge. It will all make sense eventually.


6.) Sew the bottom strip on in the opposite direction of the top strip.


7.) Press open. Lay your block on your mat so that the white sashing is on the lines. You will see your block taking shape as the center block will be crooked. Measure the length of your block, from top top to bottom.


8.) Sub-cut a 3 inch strip by the length of your block. (should be about 2 inches longer than your top and bottom strips) Mine were 13.75 inches.  Cut them again on the diagonal by measuring in 1 inch from the top of your strip and 2 inches in from the bottom.


9.) Sew your side strips on the same way you did the top and bottom. Remembering to always know what side is your diagonal cut and straight edge.


10.) Press open and you've completed 1 block!


Once I made one I cut a bunch of 3 inch strips, sub-cut them, and kept them is a stack next to the machine.  I did chain piece these. Always keeping track of the direction of my strips. 

I referred to my draft of the quilt often and sewed a few rows together then made more blocks. It helped me to actually see what direction the strips were going in etc. If that makes sense.
If you have any questions just holla!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! This method makes it so easy. I can't wait to try it.

Jacque. said...

oh, Erin...imagine my surprise when I stopped here to visit and saw a quilt that looked familiar! ~grin~ Thank you so very much for all of the kind words.

AND...your Little Apples quilt is finally done! Welll, the top, anyway. It looks absolutely fabulous! This was a grand idea of yours and I hope to do more like this.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Awesome! Thanks for this great tutorial. Love the wonky sashing!

Lisa Garrett-Bryan said...

great tutorial thank you

Christine S said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love this, thank you so much!!

Spritzy said...

Thanks for sharing! I've always wanted to make one of these! Yours looks lovely!

Mrsgaius said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I've found it really helpful.

Really great ideas, great pictures and great instructions.

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...