Thursday, September 9, 2010

Finished Quilts, Lots of Blocks, Charm Talk

I finished the Honky Dory Whirlygig.


It's adorable and is already going to good use.


I was going to bind it with the same fabric in this block. Which is also my favorite block! That was my original idea, but I didn't want to order it online and then wait for it. I bought some Kona solids, Sweet Pea and Bahama Blue.


I thought the Sweet Pea would look better with the front and it did, but the Bahama Blue was perfect with the back. Since the BB looked good with the front also, I went with that.


Everyone seems to like the back better than the front. It's a "vintage" sheet from grandma's house.

If that weren't enough whirlygigs I made a small one this weekend for one of my nieces. It's just enough to snuggle with. I really need to add more purple to my stash. This was all I had. I did some straight line quilting 1/4 inch from each side of the vertical and horizontal seams. It was a nice break from the usual stipple quilting. I plan on doing more of it.


I've been making a 1 or 2 Bliss star blocks almost daily. I really love how these are looking. Yardage of Bliss is supposed to be out now. I have to visit the LQS to see if they have it yet. I know they are going to get it because when I bought the charm pack there, the girl working and I were talking about how pretty it is and that we both couldn't wait for it to come in.


I finally cut into my Sweet (Urban Chicks for Moda) Peeps. It's been well over a year since I ordered the FQ bundle and I thought it was time. You can only pull them out and talk to, don't judge:) refold them for so long.


I made a skirt last year with some of the FQ's and used a little of my light blue peeps in this quilt and few pink peeps in these. Other than that they have been waiting.


After lots of thought about what to do with them and seeing Kristine's Flea Market Fancy quilt I thought the pattern was just right. I decided to show off the little peeps in the center of each block. This will be the fourth quilt I've made using this pattern but I still really love the simplicity of it. I still have the pink and green colorways to go yet and then I'll be putting it together.


And because I can't seem to work on just one thing at a time I've been making more solid blocks here and there.

I did some destashing. I got rid of about 75% of my fabric. Yup! Gone. The closet in my sewing room is a little bare but it really frees up my mind. I have had some of the fabric since 2002. I didn't really like it anymore but it was good quality fabric. Tastes change over time. I gave it all to my SIL and Mom. I'm really trying to grow some quilters here!

Charm swappers! Charms are coming in and they are really nice. I can't wait to see them all.

I am going to have another swap after this one. I'm thinking Amy Butler charms. I'll post details and sign ups when this swap is completed!

8 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

What beautiful quilts!

Kristine Hanson said...

OK, everthing in this post....so so pretty...have you worn the skirt? I have thought about making something like this...would be so cute with a jean jacket...I sent my charms off on Tuesday...I like the idea of the AB charm swap too...AND one more thing...I too can't WAIT for some yardage of Bliss!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

I LOVE that skirt! Sooooooo pretty! You always fo such a great job. :)

Jill Chapman said...

I'm loving the bliss star blocks. I always love spots and the coral and turquoise are really gorgeous together.

Anonymous said...

I love the whirly gigs quilt! beautiful.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Your work is beautiful. I've just not set aside the time and the money to quilt lately. It takes me a long time because I hand quilt.

Christine said...

Just love the whirlygig!! Beautiful :)

Jessica Christensen said...

Goodness, lady! You are a machine! I LOVE the solids.

I was thinking a polka dot swap would be nice sometime too. Just a thought. :) Mailing my pinks tomorrow!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...